Monday, October 8, 2012

Crocheted Butterfly Beanie




Now, isn't that pretty?  I am in love with this little hat.  It looks so cute! Plus, the butterfly part is so perfect and I can add little embellishments to it making it very versatile.

I don't crochet.  I've had a set of crochet hooks for years, and never broke the package.  But last week, I made this beanie, with the help of my good friend, Robin.  She's a pro and was very helpful.

Even though this was my first time crocheting a hat and only my second or third time crocheting at all, this hat turned out AMAZING!! 

Below is the butterfly beanie without embellishments.



Then you add some sunlight and a cute little clip....and a cute little head...




And VOILA!  Gorgeousness.





This hat makes me smile, and only took me two hours to make.  I could have actually made it in less time, but babies need tending to.  





Pretty hats and dirty shirts from playing in the mud...my kind of girl....oh, and a little nose action as well.





And why not some ears too?



G wore the hat to our Church's Fall Festival and a friend of mine asked me to make one for her little 11-week old lady.  So, I guess I did a pretty good job!

Unfortunately, I can't lay claim to the pattern...I wouldn't even know where to begin to make a crochet pattern.  The lovely lady over at Vallieskids made it and provides the pattern as well.  She even makes a matching butterfly hat for a doll.

I've included the pattern below, but please hop on over to Vallie's by clicking on the link below.  If you are interested in crocheting and knitting, she has a ton of great patterns.

And just a little note, Vallieskids calls for worsted weight yarn and a J hook.  I used a bulky yarn and the J hook.  It fits both of my children perfectly (3 years and 1 year - see the hat on Claire here) ...I guess Claire bear has a big head!  However, the pattern can easily be made to fit by simply adding or subtracting stitches in the beginning.



Rnd 1) ch3, 11dc in 3rd ch from hook (11dc) sl st to top of first dc (now and through out),

Rnd 2) ch2, (does not count as dc now and through out) 2dc in each st around, sl st to top of first dc

Rnd 3) ch 2 * 2dc in first st, 1dc in next st around, repeat from * around slip st to join

Rnd 4) ch2, *2dc in first st, dc in next 2dc , repeat from * around, join

Rnd 5) ch2, * 2dc in first st, dc in next 3dc , repeat from * around, join

Rnd 6) ch2, dc in same st and each st around

Rnd 7 and 8) Repeat rnd 6

Rnd 9) ch2, dc in same st, dc in next 21 sts, ch10, skip next 9 sts, dc in next st and in each st accross, slip st to join

Rnd 10) ch2, dc in same st and in next 21 sts, ch 10, skip 10 chains, dc in next dc and in each remaining dc, slip st to join

Rnd 11 and 12) Repeat rnd 10

Rnd 13) ch1, sc in same st and in next 21 sts, ch5, sc over all ch 10's by bunching together and into 5th dc of the 9 skipped dc on row 9, ch5, sc in next dc and in each dc around slip stitch to join, fasten off.




Until next time...












1 comment:

shannah said...

I haven't crocheted in months, but I may try this out soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...