Wednesday, September 26, 2012

DIY Inspiration Line


Hi there!  I've got a fun little tutorial today.  This project cost me ZERO dollars!  However, I had all the ingredients from previous projects.  No fear though!  If you want to make your very own Inspiration Line and need to get the materials, you can make just one stop at your local craft store and spend under $10.  Not bad when you consider how stinking cute these things are.

Materials needed for your very own Inspiration Line include:

Twine - cut to desired length
Miniature Clothespins
Putty Adhesive
Hot Glue (optional)
Embellishments/Buttons (optional)



Just as a side note, the putty I used was your basic sticky-tack variety.  A little goes a long way.  With that said, you want to make sure the majority of the back of the clothespin is covered in order to have a secure hold.


Three small pieces seemed sufficient.  I also chose to use three clothespins to secure to the wall as the length I wanted would have put too much strain on two clothespins alone.  I highly suggest dividing the distance between endpoints if your length is going to be more than 15-20 inches.


Here they are firmly pressed against the wall.  And then I realized...


I needed a bit of color.  After all, this is in the playroom, which is full of color...


Plus, I've had these buttons that were given to me for over a year.  I've tried to use them several times.  However, I couldn't find a high flyin' thing to put these on!

So of course, I cut off the shank with utility scissors (the shank was plastic) and hot glued those cuties to the clothespins.  More than adorable!

This part is completely optional.  In fact I did this same project without embellishments in my kitchen area to rotate artwork made by G.  I love the naked clothespins just as much.


Next clip on your string and attach your beautiful and inspirational pictures and memorabilia to the twine with the extra clothespins.  So easy, it's silly.





On my Inspiration Line I have a recent letter from the oh so beautiful Shannah of Write Before Your Eyes and one of my favorite pictures of Mr. MCD and G during Father's Day back in 2010.  There is also a cool postcard, a bow, a favorite note card, birthday card and some art by my amazing Niece and Nephew.  I'm sure there will be more, but I'm happy to now have those things I love and look to for comfort and inspiration right in front of my creative work space.

  



I hope you have enjoyed this simple tutorial.  I love the whimsy it brings to the room.  I also love the fact that it took me no more than ten minutes to complete.  That's a win-win right there.  If making this from scratch it would be under $10 in 10 minutes...are you kidding me.

This little sewing/crafting desk is actually in the playroom but it's permanent and the sewing machine can stay out at all times. The Inspiration Line makes this little area even more personal  in a sea of toys and I love that. 

Thanks for stopping by!  Until next time...




4 comments:

shannah said...

I love inspiration boards, or in your case, lines! I've never seen one like this before. How creative! I am honored to have a letter from me on it. :) I have all the stuff needed to make one of these, so I may just do that!

I actually purchased a Styrofoam poster a few weeks back to make my own inspiration board, but never got around to actually doing it. Your post has inspired me though! Glad to see you back up and running. Love the layout and looking forward to future posts, pen twin!
...Ok, I think I'm finished.

Rant over..

VW: 10 omanytz

Have a nice day!

shannah said...

Oh, I forgot to add, I have those same grey and yellow scissors!

wv: 14a groopia

Unknown said...

Shannah, I laughed at "Rant over." You are awesome! I love my scissors. And I am particular about which cuts what. Mr. MCD now knows to always ask me which scissors he should use. It was like slow motion one day when I practically dived toward him saying "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" when he was about to use the fabric scissors on paper.

Jill Turner said...

I love things that find a way to organize clutter. Very cute.
Xo Jill

jillianturner.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...