1) I don't need the fusible interfacing if I fold it a certain way
2) Don't apply wondertape if you don't plan on sewing that day, or my case, that night
After two days of not sewing, the tape didn't stick on certain parts and I couldn't just pull it off because it just shredded the edges of the satin. Bummer. Therefore, I had to cut new strips, which I promptly bought at rotary cutter and mat for because the satin and the scissors were not getting along and I was getting highly frustrated.
However, once I got past all my disappointments, I got down to business and actually got quite a bit done and still managed to get to bed by 12am!
To begin, I re-cut the satin strips for the dress skirt as I mentioned before. This time, I cut it to 2 1/2" instead of 1 1/2". I folded it in half and pressed it. Then I folded and pressed up the two raw edges on one side to make a beautiful solid strip of satin. I didn't take pictures because I had been in quite a state with all my disappointing discoveries.
I have two of these long strips. One is 19" and the other is 21"
I then pressed a 1" hem on both of the dress skirts, pressed and then tucked in the raw edges and pressed again. I was trying not to use the wondertape because I didn't have that much left so I wanted to make sure I had it when I really needed it - like for the next step!
I applied wondertape to the back edge of the pink ribbon and adhered it to the skirt so as to hang over the edge about a 1/4". I'm using 5/8" wide ribbon. When I stitched I used my smallest length which reduced separation between the ribbon threads.
|I really need to clean my Presser Foot - Satin makes it dusty!|
Then I placed the bottom edge (folded raw edge) of the satin in the middle of the pink ribbon. You can use wondertape here, but I just pinned it.
I then stitched as close to the edge as humanly possible with my pretty green thread. Again, I used the lowest stitch length.
I then did the same for the top of the satin ribbon as you can see below...
Next, I zig-zag stitched the side edges of the skirts...
Two more discoveries at this point:
1) I really like the green thread on this fabric - I had bought blue, but it won't be used now.
2) I think I'm going to use zig-zag stitches for some of my "seen" stitches.
So this is when, my brain gets a little funky. Instead of stitching my skirt seams together and getting ready for gathers, I kind of go brain dead and forget what my plan was for the back of the bodice and the skirt. I won't go into the details but this was obviously my brains way of telling me "Hey, dummy, you are going to make this way much harder than it needs to be!"
So I took this opportunity to indulge my pregnant self and eat some left over carrot cake from a local restaurant my mother-in-law and I visited for lunch.
|Carrot cake, cold milk, and the best part, Grace was sleeping so I didn't have to share!!!!! I still had David, and I offered, but I gave him the look that basically said, "If you know what's good for you, you will not take me up on my offer."|
First, I sewed the long seam very close to the edge with a straight stitch, in green, and on the lowest length.
As you can see, I lied. However, I'm sure you will forgive me. For the arm hole, I stitched the bias tape to the pattern side, like normal and then folded it over and used my zig-zag stitch to secure it on the backside. Presto!
Almost done. I told you, I got quite a bit done last night.
Next I looked at the back of the bodice fabric and decided to try something that I saw on a pair of my favorite bloomers that Grace wears. The elastic is not housed in a casing. It is actually stitched right onto the fabric. So, I thought I would give it a whirl seeing as I have so much of this polka dotted fabric that I could spare to cut another piece should I completely screw it up. But I didn't!!!
It wasn't that hard. I cut about 9 1/4" of baby elastic. I then sewed just a little of the top (unstretched) to the beginning of the fabric with a zig-zag stitch to insure that I grabbed the elastic and the fabric. Then, when I knew I had a secure hold, I began to stretch the elastic. I stretched it all the way to the other edge of the back bodice, which measured 4"x15", and stitched all the way down. I'm on the long side of course.
|This is how it looks on the opposite side. Perfect!|
I really like how that elastic worked out because I didn't cut the pattern large enough for a casing. One of the errors that I'm finding with making my own pattern.
Next on the list:
1) Stitch skirts together
2) Gather skirts together
3) Shoulder straps and waist ties - I need a loop turner - plus attach them
4) Stitch front and back bodice together - including stitching the front bodice itself together
5) Attach skirt to bodice
Then I should be done...except, the weather for Sunday is supposed to be 66 degrees!!! I think I am going to need a jacket of some kind. I don't think I have enough time to make one. Maybe a shawl/cape type thing...my brain will be working tonight.