Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Purple Wimsy Tank

Hello!  I've been gone for a while but I've been very busy.  I've had company, we've been getting the house ready for baby #2 and I made this cute little tank top for Grace.  However, due to the busy nature of the past month, I didn't take a ton of pictures.  This was a hard design for me and I had to do a ton of thinking on the fly.  It didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped in the arm holes, but that is easily fixed for the next time.  Lessons, lessons, lessons.  I also made her a bow to match and am working on two other matching bows for when I put her in pig-tails.  I'll post those when they are completed.  In the meantime, enjoy the pictures and the little tidbits about this shirt along the way and thanks for coming back!


This shirt is made of two different prints on cotton with medium rick-rack in Dark Banana.  I love the mix.  The purple fabric is so cute and the geometric coral fabric is such a contrast to the free form shapes in the purple.  I love this shirt. 



I got my head stuck in one of these at Disney when I was a little girl - the dumbo ride to be exact - so fear was coursing through my veins as I took this picture.



The back is really cute and is one of my favorite parts.  It consists of two buttons (which are by far my favorite things on this shirt...so weird) which close the top of a little peep hole in the back, which is covered in rick-rack.


The buttons are glass fragments that just shimmer with every color in this entire shirt.  They are beautiful and the pictures do not do them justice.  You really have to see them in person. 

To make the button loops, I found this great tutorial at YSolda.com.  It was perfect for this shirt.  I just had to use embroidery floss and the little knots around the loop make for a very sturdy button hole.  Super easy to make.

I also made a bow for this shirt.  This one is for when I put her hair in a ponytail and I'm making two more for pig-tails.


This bow consists of amethyst satin ribbon that is 1.5" wide, 3/4" wide flexi-lace hem tape in sweet peach, the medium dark banana rick-rack and a rosette made of 5/8" wide amethyst satin ribbon.  Too cute!!!



One of my hardest shirt designs so far but I executed it pretty well.  I really need to start fitting the piece on Grace as I go along.  I do all my sewing and crafting at night so that hasn't been an option but we will figure it out!  Thanks again for visiting and sorry for the long absence.  I think I'll be getting back into the swing of things with all my chores done finally.  :)

3 comments:

Jen Butler said...

Super cute! I love the color combo and those colors look perfect on Grace!

Andrea said...

It's a lovely top. I think using the two colours really makes it special. Your buttons look lovely. Perhaps you could use them again (if you have any) and put some on the front. If your little girl is anything like mine, she'd want to see them and play with them!
I've been making a pair of dungarees for Ellie today. I made Nancy's last week, but you can't do one without the other...

The Sewing Dork said...

That is super original, and of course cute! I like the unusual mix of purple and yellow too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...